My mornings used to be sacred. This was when I would get in my much needed exercise routine-- taking time for myself and my health. Well, this year, my little motivated second grader has decided that she should take advantage of early mornings too! So, as I am beginning my workout, I hear her door open and it's all over. Next thing I know I am getting my "exercise" by multi-tasking and running up and down the stairs.
Some mornings I barely get any real concentrated workout time, which really puts a crimp in the rest of my day. One day recently, I was feeling particularly stressed and in desperate need of a good sweat. But, when I got home Lila asked if we could do something together after dinner. Tired and giving up on the idea of getting my workout in, I asked her what she would like to do. Her suggestion was "racing down the hill across the street."
I threw on my sneakers and we headed outside. For the next 45 minutes or so I had the most hilarious, fun, exhausting workout ever.
As much as I have love my morning routine of yoga postures, push ups, and lunges, I must admit that it does get kind of boring after a while. In fact, I've been finding it harder to get motivated to wake up in the morning. I still do think that making time for myself is important and I am not willing to give that up. But Lila, once again, has turned my "planned time" upside down and showed me that "play time" can be so much more fun offering the same, if not better, results. The laughing that ensues is a great bonus abdominal workout!
Here are Lila's top 10 ways to make working out feel like child's play:
10) Have a race-- over and over again.
9) Run up and down a hill, until you can't breathe. Repeat until completely exhausted.
8) Blow up a balloon. Hit it into the air and chase it around the living room as if your life depends on keeping it off the ground.
7) Go on a nature hike. Climb things.
6) Have a frog jump contest.
5) Play basketball (outside or indoors). Break rules. Travel. Roll on the ground holding the ball while your opponent tickles you until you let go. Chase them.
4) Play hop scotch and jump rope. Sing while you do it (if you're not totally out of breath).
3) Play hide and seek and run like crazy when you're found.
2) Play on the monkey bars. Work on becoming a bad a** mama who could do pull ups.
1) Have a wild dance party which involves jumping on the bed like two crazy people. Collapse and laugh until your stomach hurts.