Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Top 10 Car Ride Hits

For the past month or so, Lila and I have included Daddy in on our daily commute. In an effort to be a little greener and frankly to save money on gas, we've been car pooling together to work and summer camp. Some mornings it's crazy and hectic, but overall it has been nice to have a few extra moments as a family.

However...

I must admit I do miss our "girl time" which consists of popping Dunkin Donuts munchkins while blasting and belting out our favorite songs. We don't get to do this in the car with Daddy... It's a girl thing.

An eclectic mix, here are our Top 10 (Lila Approved) Car Ride Hits:

#10) Brown-Eyed Girl, Van Morrison
This song warms my heart because it is one of my own cherished "riding in the car with mom" songs. Well, I've become my mom and tune into the easy listening station on the morning commute. (Hey, I need to hear the news, traffic, and weather.) Just like me, Lila loves this song because she is a "brown eyed girl."

#9) Hey There Deliah, Plain White T's
Here's another one that Lila believes was written just for her. It was hot while I was pregnant, so Lila's been hearing it since she was in the womb. It was played so much that year Lila was almost named "Deliah." Although this song has sparked the "one hit wonder" curse for the group, it is a sweet song and has affectionately become one of Lila's favorite lullabies.

#8) In the Garden, Monkey Monkey Music
If you're not a mom or dad of a toddler or preschooler, you probably have no idea who and what I am talking about. But, believe me, on the birthday party scene Monkey Monkey is hot! Cute and catchy, several Monkey Monkey songs could be included on this play list, but "In the Garden" is one we often put on repeat.


Lila at the Fresh Beat Band Meet and Greet. OMG!
#7) Just Like A Rock Star, Fresh Beat Band Again, only parents will know what I'm talking about... the Fresh Beat Band is huge! Kids loooovvvee them and parents will find themselves singing Fresh Beat songs to themselves when their kids aren't even around. Sure, they're bubblegum pop, but undeniably their songs are contagious. Hate if you want-- They are currently on tour and selling out venues!

#6) Empire State of Mind, Jay-Z & Alicia Keys
Lila's been jamming to this song since she was in diapers, partly because she thought it was her mama on the hook. Whenever the video was on she would point at the TV screen and say "Mama!" Yes, I wear a skin tight leather and perform with Jay-Z in my spare time. (I wish!) Alicia Keys is gorgeous, so I certianly don't mind my own daughter thinking she's me. Thanks, Lila! xoxo

#5) Pon De Replay, Riahanna
This is one of those feel-good club jams that Lila likes to bop her head to in the back seat. She gets a little tongue-tied trying to sing along, but it's all good. (Be sure to get the clean version on Kidz Bop 9).

#4) I Like to Move It, Erick Morillo
Wanna get the party started? Play this song and any group of young children will instantly start moving and grooving like the Peanuts gang. Seriously, this song hypnotizes children. Madagascar has made it a party (and car ride) favorite.

#3) Beautiful Girls,  Kidz Bop 13 (Original, Sean Kingston)
Lila loves this song. The original isn't completely appropriate for kids, but the kid-friendly version tweaks the line "they'll have you suicidal" to "in denial" (phew, much better).

#2) Hot & Cold, Katy Perry
Lila became addicted to this song after Katy Perry's appearance on Sesame Street with Elmo. She sings it constantly. Mom-of-the-year that I am, I added the original song to Lila's play list. Little did I know that one of the lines was "You PMS like a b***h, I should know." No joke when they say kids' brains are sponges. Unfortunately, Lila sings this song word-for-word. Yes, b***h and all. I haven't decided if I should draw attention to the word yet or not. Totally my fault.

#1) Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, Cyndi Lauper
YES! Love this song! And I love that Lila loves it. This has become our car ride anthem. Totally 80s, but totally timeless. This is the #1 girl song of all time.

"Oh Daddy dear you know you're still #1, but girls just wanna have fun. Oh, girls just wanna have fun!"

-Tara

2 comments:

  1. It's nice to read about Lila's favorite car tunes. Clara definitely has her favorite car music lineup, too. Her favorites are on a playlist on the iPod... and she regularly requests "her songs" when we are playing too much adult music, although admittedly many of her favorites she got from us:

    *Good Day Sunshine and Yellow Submarine... Beatles
    *Fidelity... Regina Spektor
    *Anything from Laurie Berkner's Buzz Buzz kids' album
    *You're Not Coming Home Tonight... First Aid Kit
    *Forget You... Cee Lo Green... (this has some of the same appropriateness issues you talk about running into with Hot & Cold)
    *Nearly any Christmas song as previously documented at http://as-we-go-a-long.blogspot.com/2012/06/jingle-bells-in-june.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good music and cars always go together! For my playlist, I always include some upbeat songs to complement the lively ambiance of the trip. But we should not forget the classics, especially if you are going on a road trip! [Kerstin Shed]

    ReplyDelete