Thursday, August 2, 2012

Thank you preschool teachers

I feel so fortunate that Lila attends a wonderful preschool. It is a nurturing, creative, and stimulating environment and because of it I'm convinced that she is a much smarter four year old than I was. I am amazed by her ever expanding vocabulary and knowledge base. I honestly did not know that a caterpillar forms a "chrysalis" before becoming a butterfly, until Lila informed me of this process. She has learned so much and I admit I can't take much credit. Her teachers are fabulous.

A few weeks ago, Lila was suddenly overcome by the inspiration to create her own rendition of the "Three Little Pigs." When she arrived at school, she shared her idea and instead of just brushing it off, her teacher allowed her to put on her play. As I was leaving, Lila (hands on her hips) was busy deciding where the stage should be. The teachers and student interns were the cast, the children were the audience, and Lila was the director, producer, and, of course, the star of the play. Lila was so proud of herself. I believe that this will be one of those moments that will help to shape Lila's self concept and perhaps her future. (Hmmm, the next Tyler Perry?)

She has attended the Children's Center since she was 18 months, beginning in the Yellow Room and progressing to the Green Room, Purple Room and now the Blue Room. Relating the rooms to high school terms, Lila is now entering her "Senior" year in preschool. (sniff sniff). As a college counselor I have seen many tearful, proud, yet anxious parents sending their kids off to college or watching them graduate-- I can totally relate already. I get ridiculously emotional with the ending and beginning of each stage in Lila's life.

Today was the last day of school for the year for Lila (the center closes for the month of August). When Lila returns in September, this will be her final year at the center. Then, it's off to kindergarten... and before I know it, college!

Knowing how emotional parents get, Lila's school hosted an end of the school year event to really bring on the water works-- Family Day. This was hosted in June since some of the students are off for the full summer. Here are some of the highlights of the day:

The children made us fruit salad and lemonade and ordered an array of delicious mini muffins. They decorated each table with adorable handmade centerpieces. 


During circle time, the children were asked
"why do you love your mom?"& "why do you love your dad?"
I just love the responses!



For the grand finale, we watched a slide show of their productive year in the Purple Room. The kids were excited to see themselves on the big screen.

Lila and her friends wait patiently for the show to begin.
It's hard to come up with a way to thank Lila's teachers for all that they do. I trust them to care for my "baby" for eight hours a day and they truly exceed my expectations.

As a thank you gift, we decided to bring "an apple for the teacher"-- cliche, I know, but this one was covered in caramel and dark chocolate and topped with a drizzle of white chocolate. YUM! We included a thank you note which Lila personally decorated with lots of her favorite stickers. I'm hoping they enjoy these decadent treats as they relax and celebrate the end of another great year. 
Signature chocolate covered apple from Chocolate Rain Shop in Norwalk, CT.
Lila thanking one of her teachers for a wonderful year!
-Tara